Pages

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Strangest shopping trip ever...

Hi everybody,

I didn't post in the last few days, but if you're following me on twitter, you know that I've been enjoying a wonderful few days in Paris. What a contrast it will be when I get to Chad!!

Yesterday I went to the Embassy of Chad to request a visa, and lo and behold, they were closed! It was their independence day. Not very cool, because they say it takes 3 days to get the visa. My flight is on Thursday at 4pm...

So I went back today, and they said no problem, it would be done Thursday morning. I'm gonna trust them and hope for the best...

After the embassy, with the assurance of the visa, I went on the weirdest shopping trip ever. I had searched online to find a store that sold medical supplies. It's in the outskirts of Paris, "la banlieu" if you know the region. I got there and started grabbing boxes of latex gloves, bottles of hand-sanitizer, seringes, needles, gauze packages, surgical masks, alcohol wipes, desinfectant wipes, and of course, mosquito repellent.

This is the kind of stuff most people never ever get to buy. Even those of us in the medical professions, we (or at least I) just take it for granted, you show up at the hospital, there are gloves, alcohol, needles. Buying this stuff somehow brought it home to me: I'm going to Africa. In 2 days. A place where the simplest medical supplies are scarce at best, and they make do with what they've got.

I think it hasn't quite sinked in yet... but today it's started to...


No comments:

Post a Comment