Pages

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

News from Tchad!

I may be physically far away, but my mind is never too far. I have not forgotten my patients. Or Tchad. And as weird as that might seem, I miss it... 

So every once in a while, I ask for news... 

And I am happy to report that Irene came back for her check-up, her stump is all healed up and Dr. Scott sent her to the handicapped center to get a prosthesis. It'll probably be a peg leg (above knee amputations suck!) but it'll be enough to free her hands from the crutches, so she can carry her babies again. :) 

Gombo, one of the patients I was doing dressing changes twice a day and who kept producing pus and more pus, has also been discharged, healed, without infection. Hallelujah!! 

But the best news are about Blaise. He's the one I thought was going to lose his leg. The one I pumped full of antibiotics and also did dressing changes twice a day. When I left, he was off antibiotics and infection free, but still had 2 giant wounds which could get infected again any time. 

Well, he is doing great! He's still at the hospital, but the wounds are almost completely closed, and he has both legs and no infection. He will walk again. He will lead a normal life. A young, strong guy like him, would have been reduced to begging if he had lost his leg. Now he's got a chance at life. 

There are no words to describe how happy that makes me... :) it was not in vain. The fight payed off. 


That's Blaise, on my last day there... 

No comments:

Post a Comment