Pages

Friday, December 5, 2014

Vietnam-- first impressions

I crossed the border from Laos into Vietnam yesterday morning. Very fast processing, stamp here, drive 4km in the bus, stamp there: Welcome to Vietnam! 


I arrived in Dien Bien Phu around noon. Time for my first Pho! 


Then I had to wait for 5hrs to get a sleeper bus to Hanoi. Well, I was in for a surprise! 

In South America we have pretty comfortable sleeper buses, but the Vietnamese took this to another level. 

There are bunk beds in the entire bus! Comfortable, completely flat, bunk beds, complete with pillow and blanket! 

(I slept through the night!)

The bus driver also had a sense of humor. We stopped (at the side of the road) for a bathroom break, and I was the last one out. When he saw me coming, he started driving away, just to make me run. I did, then he stopped, gave me his hand and we all laughed. :)

A little later we stopped for dinner. There were only another couple of foreigners on the bus, and they stayed on the bus. I got out because I was hungry. What isn't my surprise, when I see that everybody sits at long tables and shares the same food! Dinner with locals? Check! It was pretty tasty too! 

Arrived this morning at 5am, got a taxi to the hotel, but had to wait until someone checked out to get a room. So I went to walk around and have some food. 

(Someone reading by the lake)

At 11am I came back and got my room. 


Those are rose petals on the bed folks! 

As you can tell, my first impressions of Vietnam are extremely positive! :)

More to come!!


No comments:

Post a Comment