Pages

Thursday, March 5, 2015

The *actual* beginning


Hi everyone, I'm back, and I think a slight explanation might be in order, as to the question: "she calls herself a medical student but seems like she's in a different country every other day. How is that possible?"

Well, last year I left my beautiful life in Berlin, Germany, because I was assured, after asking everybody that had anything to do with it (the med school back home, the dean of admissions, etc., etc., etc.) that I could start med school in March 2014. 

So I packed my bags, arrived in Montevideo, Uruguay (that's where I'm from), rented an apartment and prepared to start school. 

After all of that, however, they managed to come up with a stupid bureaucratic reason to find fault with my paperwork, and to rectify that, unfortunately, took months. And they did not allow me to start without solving that first. 

I was very pissed off, almost got myself on a plane back to Germany, cried, consumed massive amounts of chocolate, and then calmed down. A bit. Enough to realize that this might be a blessing in disguise and that I could use this time to my advantage. 

This is when I contacted the doctor in Tchad and asked if he wanted a volunteer. And how I planned a trip for the last 6 months, possibly the last block of that much free time I'll ever have. 

However, now I'm back, and there's no paperwork crap this time. It's actually happening. I'm T-4 days from the very first day of Medical School, a day that, if I'm honest, I've been dreaming about for at least 24 years. Seriously. You can only imagine how excited I am. I think ecstatic would be a better word!!! 

Wish me luck!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment