Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Correction

A lot of people who read my blog say things like "you're a hero", "you're a saint", and somebody lately said I was the closest person to Mother Theresa they've ever met.

Well, let me tell you something: I am none of those things. Yes, I am helping people, and yes, I love knowing that my work makes a difference in people's lives. But I am *not* sacrificing myself by being here. I like it. I learn SO MUCH, and I get to see incredible conditions that I would never have the opportunity to see elsewhere.

Plus, I am one of those crazy, insane people, who finds the inside of the human body fascinating. Think about it: you have a body for 50, 60, 70 years, but you only get to see the inside of your mouth, nothing else. To be able to see inside the body, you have to be a serial killer (which I'm not, rest assured), or a surgeon. I am on my way to becoming a surgeon, but I still have many years ahead before I can call myself that. And as a lowly medical student, even if you are lucky enough to get into the OR, you usually don't scrub in, which means you're at least 3 feet away from the table and can't really see much.

Here, I get to scrub in to 3-4 surgeries **every day**!!! I have had my hands inside the abdominal cavities of several people. My index finger has found a hole in someone's small intestine. I have touched several femurs, tibias, humerus, and held them in place while the surgeon drilled through them. I get to see and touch everything, and it is *awesome*!

So basically, I'm here because I love medicine, I am curious about the human body, and I want to learn everything as fast as possible. I've wasted too much time already, and being here gives me a huge advantage.

Please don't confuse my excitement and curiosity for sainthood. I'm just a sinner like everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment