Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Like a kid in a candy store

Remember that episode of Grey's Anatomy when Christina enters the ER and says "it's like candy, but with blood, which is so much better!"?

Well, that's kinda what I felt today, but my specific kind of "candy" are sharp objects, like needles. I love drawing blood, injecting meds, putting in IVs, etc. I'm also really good at finding veins.

But today, I got to do something even cooler: I got to do 2 spinal taps! Seeing as I plan on doing neurosurgery, this is an important skill to acquire, and I did both perfectly. 2 Champagne taps!! It was awesome. Both were for hernia repairs.

What isn't my surprise when Dr. Scott hands me the needle driver and tells me to close this guy's skin! I thought he was joking, but since he was handing me the instruments, I realized he wasn't.

So I did my 1st suture on a live patient today. I had practiced doing knots and suturing on an amputated leg, but now I actually sutured someone's skin!!!!

This might be all silly to you, but I couldn't stop smiling afterwards. Remember that I only just finished 1st year of med school, nobody gets to do this stuff this early. I am so lucky!!!

To finish off my day, I changed the a supra-pubic catheter on another patient.

All in all, this was an awesome day!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment