Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Maternal/fetal mortality and the wonders of modern medicine

I got called in at 2:56am for another c-section for a dead baby with a ruptured uterus which ended up needing a hysterectomy. I have lost count of how many of those I've assisted on in the 6 weeks I've been here. I bet most OB-GYNs in the developed world have never even seen one. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

I read somewhere recently that late fetal/newborn death rates were around 40% in the 1800s, and only with the advent of modern medicine, pre-natal care, ultrasound, etc., has it decreased as much as it did (to something like 4% globally-- I can't find the article now). According to Unicef data: "The lifetime risk of maternal death in high-income countries is 1 in 3,300, compared to 1 in 41 in low-income." http://data.unicef.org/topic/maternal-health/maternal-mortality/

Well, you might remember from an earlier post, that I said Chad was stuck in a way of life from 2000 years ago. And that means, maternal/fetal/newborn death is still ridiculously high. Unacceptably high.

Call me a wimp, call me a weakling, call me whatever you want, but it's been really hard for me, dealing with it all. Last week I only went to the OR one day, and dedicated myself to teaching at the nursing school. This is my last week, and honestly, I'm glad it is. 

Since I have been trying to push it all down and not think about it, I guess my brain decided to make me deal with it at night, in my dreams. So I've been having terrible dreams, waking up crying, and sleeping badly. Consequently, I'm tired all the time.

I'm glad and always in awe of people  like Dr. Danae, Dr. Olen (her husband), Dr. Bland (her dad), but I don't have what it takes to be a full-time doctor in a place like Chad. I'd last a month, maybe two, run away screaming and move to an island in the middle of the pacific, preferably populated by only nuns and cats (therefore no ruptured uteruses, dead babies, ectopic pregnancies, etc., etc., etc.).

So for those of you who might be wondering if I intend to be a full-time doctor in Africa someday, the answer is no. I couldn't handle it. I'm not strong enough. And that's ok. 

(That's a ruptured uterus, so badly ruptured that it was impossible to save. I think this is the one we gave 5 bags of blood cuz she just kept bleeding)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Patty,
    As someone who has studied international development, I can relate to your feeling overwhelmed about the suffering in developing countries like Chad. It's interesting that you had a similar conclusion to me:

    "...I don't have what it takes to be a full-time doctor in a place like Chad. I'd last a month, maybe two, run away screaming and move to an island in the middle of the pacific..."

    I might just have the perfect island for you to 'retire' to, though we are starting a health resort there, so there'll be plenty to do. I can't promise the island will be "populated by only nuns and cats" though! Haha!

    It's really amazing to hear about what God is doing with your life. Isn't it wonderful to be ambassadors of love!

    Lots of love,
    Guy

    ReplyDelete