Pages

Saturday, January 9, 2016

Living arrangements

A lot of people have asked me how the living conditions in Tchad are, so I thought I'd make a post with some pictures to give you guys a better idea.

The first time I came to Tchad, I didn't know what to expect when it came to my living arrangements. The hospital and the living quarters are located in the same walled complex, and separated from each other by a brick wall. The house is pretty modern, with everything you would expect in a normal house, normal bathroom with shower (cold water but you don't really need it to be hot) and flushing toilet. The only exception is wifi which doesn't exist. Electricity is provided by a generator and internet from mobile phones. I got a little bedroom with a lockable door, a nice bed with mosquito net and a dresser. I was beyond happy, as I had expected a lot worse.

This year, when Bekki wrote me to say they were excited for me to arrive and my room was ready, I had expected the same room. What isn't my surprise when Bekki takes me to my own little apartment!! When I was here last, it had been a shipping container used for storage. They converted it into a full apartment, with full kitchen and bathroom! And it was just for me!!

Here are some pictures:

That's the door on the wall that separates the hospital from the residencial area

That's the outside of the house I live in

My very own kitchen!! 

Bedroom

Bathroom

Garden at sunset 

So there you have it. I really had not expected to have all the comforts we expect in other countries. Coming to Tchad is hard in many ways, but the living conditions are not one of them. Of course, this is not how the general population lives... but I'll have to write another post about that. :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment