Pages

Friday, January 8, 2016

Tchad- round two

I am sitting on a bus, crossing Tchad from the capital, N'Djamena, to Moundou in the south. I'm really excited, and can't wait to get there and see Dr. Scott and Bekki (his wife) again.

The first time I was here, it was the unknown. Arriving in the middle of the ebola epidemic, there was fear it would come to Tchad (it didn't). And like this time, I was arriving at 11pm in N'Djamena and leaving at 6am on a bus to Moundou. It was certainly an adventure and I won't deny, there was a little bit of fear mixed in with excitement. I knew that trip would change me. I was afraid I wasn't up for the challenge.

I hadn't even started med school yet, and my only training was what I had learned in a nursing's assistant course and the basics of giving shots, drawing blood and putting in IVs, that I learned during my internships in hospitals in Germany.

Now, after a year of med school, my practical knowledge hasn't changed much, except for all the things I learned my first time in Tchad. This is such an incredible opportunity, I am very lucky and blessed to be able to do it. I hope to learn a lot more, maybe even suture and catch a baby or two! (The hospital where I will spend most of my time does not have maternity/gynecology, but I will spend 2 weeks at a different hospital, where they have it!)

It's funny how the unknown has become familiar, and I can feel like I am going back home, in the heart of Africa.

I'll leave you with a picture of the sunrise. It's bad quality, but it will give you a small idea of the beauty I am lucky enough to see. Enjoy!

1 comment: