Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

It's not only about the medicine... just mostly!

Life in Chad is hard, in particular when you work at a hospital. So once in a while, you kinda have to get away. The first time I was here, I went to Gore, a city in the south. This time, I went to Bere, a little to the northeast of Moundou (where I work). There's a sister hospital there, from the same organization, so they also have volunteers and American doctors (3 of the!) It's a bigger hospital, so more volunteers!

We had a feast at a local woman's house, played lots and lots of games, laughed until tears were running down my face and I could barely breathe, and even got to ride on a donkey! Oh yeah, there was some surgery too. :)

Pictures!!
 Traditional Chadian Boule

 There was SO MUCH FOOD!!

 You put everything in a platter and people eat with their hands, from the same plate.
 Me riding the donkey!

 Selfie in the back of the pickup on the way home!

After the pickup stopped...

There was also a little surgery... :) Saturday morning Dr. Roland asked if I wanted to scrub in on a laparatomy with him. Of course!! It turned out to be a bowel resection. The guy had about 2 feet of dead bowel inside, about to rupture. Luckily, it didn't, and we were able to repair it cleanly. He'll do fine! And I got to do my first subcutaneous sutures!!

Dead bowel

I was concentrating on my sutures!

Not bad for a first try, hey? 

It was a good weekend. Which I finished by coming back at 10pm, on my own, taking a moto-taxi after dark for over an hour, plus a shared taxi car ride for another 2hrs. Crazy, I know. Kind of exciting. Kinda stupid. I made it though! :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment